Randy A. Eckert
Saferway Driver Training School Ltd.
2A 2328 Government St. Victoria, BC, Canada V8T 5G5
Work: 250 385-8212 Cell 250-883-1355
Present : Owner/Operator, President, Instructor and Instructor Trainer for Saferway Driver Training School Ltd. (Saferway) since August, 1999.
- Actively engaged in the day to day operations; management, curriculum development, training employees, students, and training for individual companies.
- Holder of a certified Instructor’s license, Instructor Trainer’s license, Assessment Officer’s license, all for class one through six.
- Holder of a certified Air-brake Instructors license and an Air-brake Assessment Officer’s license.
- All licenses are for practical and theory and all are certified by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia.
Qualified by the Supreme Court and Provincial Court of British Columbia, as an expert witness since 2006, and provided professional opinion reports to various agencies.
- Qualified by the Supreme Court of British Columbia as an expert in three areas;
- the standard of care applicable to a professional driver of a commercial tractor-trailer
- whether the defendant's conduct fell below that standard of care; and
- evidence regarding the characteristics of large tractor-trailer.
- Qualified by the Supreme Court of British Columbia as an expert in Operating Commercial Transport Vehicles, including operating of Super B Units.
- Provided a report as an expert witness for Provincial Court of British Columbia, Victoria Crown Counsel.
- Provided a professional opinion report on an accident to legal counsel.
- Provided material to a Field Investigator of the Workers’ Compensation Board to be used in an examination for discovery in regard to a Provincial Court case.
- Qualified by the Provincial Court of British Columbia as an expert in Motor Carrier Industry Safety Standards, and an expert in Operating Commercial Transport Vehicles
1972 - Present: Involved in just about all aspects of the commercial transport industry
- Operating a multitude of tractor-trailer configurations, engine makes and models, supervisor, public relation positions, training to management.
- Firefighter and trainer for Sidney Volunteer Fire Department
Education and Qualifications:
2002 - Driver Training & Certified Regulated Programs Assessment Officers License for Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5/7, 6/8 - Certified by Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
2001 - Driver Training & Certified Regulated Programs Instructor Trainers License, for all classes of licensing - Certified by Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
2001 - National Resource Canada SmartDriver Program for Heavy Vehicle Trainer - Certified National Resource Canada SmartDriver for Heavy Vehicle Trainer
1998 - Driver Training Instructors Certified License - Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
1998 - Graduated Licensing Program, Instructors Course Certified to teach all ICBC approved theory courses - Justice Institute of B.C.
1998 - Completion of 120 hours Instructor Training Course, qualifying for practical instruction on Class 1,2,3,4,&5 Vehicles - North Shore Driving School Ltd.
1998 - QS9000 S-Cam Brake Maintenance Certificate Trailers The Forgotten Ones Certificate Stopping the Big Rigs Certificate - Haldex Midland Training Facility
1997 - Emergency Vehicle Driver Training Fire & Safety Training Centre - Justice Institute of BC - Course #MCV70918
1996 - Hazard Avoidance Training - B.C. Safety Council
1995 - B.C. Government Certified Air-Brake Instructors Course, Practical and Theory - Canadian Association of Fleet Supervisors Of British Columbia
Other Skills and Qualifications:
2007 - Submitted a report to the Honourable Murray Coell, Minister of Advanced Education and Minister Responsible for Research and Technology in regard to changes needed with driver training schools being double bonded and double regulated in B.C. The report was instrumental in preparation of meetings between driver training schools, Private Post-secondary Education Commission, the Ministry, and ICBC.
1999 – Present - Developed and implemented all commercial transport training programs delivered at Saferway. These training programs are certified through the Federal Government (Revenue Canada) and registered through Private Career Training Institutions Agency(of B.C.)
Developed and implemented all commercial and non commercial Instructor Training and ICBC approved programs delivered at Saferway. These training programs are recognized and approved by the Driver Training and Certification Unit, ICBC.
Prepared a report for submission to the Driver Training and Certification Unit, ICBC, which was instrumental in the new air-brake pre-trip procedures, and examining standard in B.C.
1984 – 1995 - Training and assessing prospective employees for Class One operator’s license.
Equipment Operating Experience:
Operated a variety of trucks with a wide range of transmissions and wide range of tractor trailer configurations; 26’- 40’- 45’- 48’, and 53’ vans, flat-beds, low- beds, refrigeration units, tandem, tri-axle, tridem, A-train, B-train, C-Train, Super B-train, Gravel (Dump) truck, Fire Truck and Ladder Truck configurations.
Equipment operating experience has been in a variety of weather conditions, at many different times of the day, night and year. Local operations, and all over Vancouver Island, also 16 years in Vancouver and outer areas of Vancouver, with freight haul back to Vancouver Island, and Long Haul to California and Eastern Washington.
Instruct students at Saferway with vehicles that are partially loaded and up to over 90% axle weight, on 28’ – 40’ – 45` – 53’ and Super B-train tractor trailer configurations. The tractor power trains consist of 350hp Cummins, 500hp Cummins, 500hp Caterpillar, 490hp Mercedes Benz, Electronic Computerized Equipment. Braking consists of manual and automatic slack adjusters, and ABS. Tractor/Truck equipment age range from 1995 to 2006. Operated and trained on a gravel truck between 2006 and 2010 as Saferway Contracting, a separate division of Saferway.